Saturday, July 2, 2011

Musings on Color

It seems there is a dividing line between people that many don't recognize initially. There are those that like beets, and those that consider them evil demon devil spawn.

I fall firmly into the beets category and right now there are 7 of them roasting contentedly in my oven. They are encased in a foil pouch, doused with olive oil and sprinkled with salt. When they are done, I will slip them from their skins, chop them, and mix them with pasta and goats cheese to be consumed hastily at my desk during my long day.

I love their rich earthiness, their slight vinegary quality. Most of all, though, I love their color. That deep red that turns pasta and goat cheese a bright fuschia. Shot through with little ribbons of basil, this simply and easy dish will bring me comfort and sunshine.

I wish I had more of them, but these are probably the last for a while, as the season makes way for tomatoes and eggplant and peppers.

But today, today I will dive into a deliciously pink mound of lemon and pasta and goat cheese and pepper and rich rich lovely beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment