Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Bit of a Throwback.... Reinvestigating my Vegetarian Days

When I was 12 I decided I didn't want to eat red meat any more. Mostly I was worried about future impacts on my health (jeez, lets not unpack all that shall we... I was TWELVE). I basically then lived off cheese omelettes for several years. I cut out all other meat when I was about 20 and that stuck for about 6 or 7 years. 

I started eating meat again kind of accidentally and then when I got together with my other half, it became at every meal. He was raised very firmly on meat and has a hard time sometimes picturing a meal without it. 

But now, I'm really leaning back into the idea of eating more plant based meals. It's a lot of things... sustainability, health, studying up on how warped of a view we have about how much protein we need. 

But wow, when you've got out of the habit of eating vegetarian it's really really hard to go back. I've been trying to replace two dinners a week with vegetarian meals and I've got to say, it's been tough. I used to be so good at this! We really need to eat things other than pasts! Though in fairness.... spinach and ricotta ravioli in a lemon cream sauce is delicious... rampantly unhealthy, but delicious!

So I'm going another route with this. The plan is to use up all the protein we have in the freezer without adding more, and then going back to grocery shopping based on menu planning, rather than menu planning based on what we have on hand. 

For now, I'm doing very well at veggie breakfasts and lunches....even though I unthinkingly ate a ham sandwich yesterday. So hopefully, February will be all about eating things up and then maybe by March I can start really diving better into more plan focused meals. Wish me luck and feel free to drop me a note on what your favourite non meat focused dinner is!

No comments:

Post a Comment