Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pina Colada Upside Down Yoghurt Cake


I've always loved the story of how Molly Wizenberg and Brandon Petit met because of her blog, and partly because of a recipe for French Yoghurt Cake. If you don't read Molly's blog, Orangette, you should add it to your list. She is brilliant.

So, since it's the last couple of days that I'll get to spend with my Guy, I decided it was fitting to make a yoghurt cake. I also had a pineapple. I like pineapple. I like pineapple upside down cake. One thing led to another.

I was sneaky when I made this cake because I pretty much had John make it. While I was making the pineapple, he was putting together the cake. It came out wonderfully.

This is just a quick post because John is taking a phone call and I want to put this together quickly for you while he handles that.

Try this cake. It's yummy. I like it a lot and it's even better on day two.

Pina Colada Upside Down Yoghurt Cake

1 1/2 Cups Flour, Sifted
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Plain Non-Fat Yoghurt
3 Eggs
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut, toasted (for the top)

For the Pineapple

1 1/2 Cup Pineapple
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the cake into a smooth batter, except for the extra toasted coconut.

In a small pan, add the pineapple and sugar and cook over medium heat for five minutes or so until the sugar has become a thick syrup. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan. Put the pineapple and syrup in the pan and even spoon over the cake batter. Don't stir it up, you want the pineapples at the bottom.

Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Let cool in the pan completely. When cool, run a knife around the edges of the pan and then put a plate on top. Flip over so the top of the cake is on the plate and the bottom is open to the air. It will be syrupy with big chunks of pineapple everywhere. Top with the toasted coconut.

Eat in wedges at 11pm after walking home from the movies with your beloved while furiously debating the fight sequences in The Amazing Spiderman and smuggling in your own beer.



No comments:

Post a Comment