Thursday, February 10, 2022

Quick and Easy Gnocchi in Creamy Tomato and Spinach Sauce

I will say, I am sometimes really really good at pinch hitting.Which is funny because I am an obsessive planner who, when thrown a curve ball has a tendency to just have a wee bit of a freak out. 

I also am apparently a slow learner because I need to recognize that the idea of that guy I married having the time to make handmade pasta after work is just going to make the universe laugh at you. 

It's been busy around here... mostly for him. So, last night Pasta alla Norma was out, dear god what do we have in the fridge that I can scramble together a meal with without having to defrost anything was in. 

And this is why I keep a pack of shelf stable gnocchi in the pantry at all times. 

These measurements are a little loosey goosey, but you get the idea. Adjust to taste! If you are using shelf stable gnocchi, you can cook that while the everything else is going, just start the water boiling when you start cooking the onions and the timing should be perfect.



Gnocchi in a Creamy Tomato and Spinach Sauce

Serves 2 - Cooks in 20 minutes

2 Cups Cooked Gnocchi (shelf stable, fresh or frozen, all are fine)
1/2 White Onion, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1/2 Bunch of Spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach
1/2 Cup Half and Half (or mix milk and cream as I did)
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Mozzarella (I used smoked)
Salt and Pepper
Fresh Basil to finish 

In a skillet, sautee the onions in either butter or olive oil for about three minutes until softened slightly. Add in the garlic, sautee 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes. Add the spinach, cover and cook two more minutes. Add the half and half and give it a good stir. Sitr in the gnocchi and parmesan, make sure everything is nice and coated. Now add some salt and pepper to taste. Then stir in the mozzarella, cover and cook two more minutes until the mozzarella is nice and melty. Pour onto a plate, top with fresh basil and a good grind of pepper. 

I served this as is for me, and added a grilled chicken breast for that guy I married. 




No comments:

Post a Comment