Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cocoamint Cookies


It's turning colder out, and I've started wearing scarves to work. I love scarves. Mine are mostly all handknit, and they feel like wearing a hug around your neck. I know that it won't snow here in the desert, but I really wish it would just a little so it feels more like winter.

In an attempt to pretend it's the snowy, fluffy, grey season I find myself all about the hot chocolate right now. It's not December yet, so I can't make my fabulous Heart Attack Hot Chocolate... I reserve that for December because it's about 500 calories a cup and it's a treat. It's kind of like how I only make Maple Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving. If you make things like that too often, they don't stay special.

All that aside, I'm quite a resourceful person. So when i decided today I wanted hot chocolate and cookies, I figured why not make something that makes me feel as though I'm having both. And thus, the Cocoamint cookie was born.

These cookies are chewy and dense inside, and they have a little bit of a crispy edge to the outside. They are quite rich and so very very chocolatey.

I made a chocolate ganache glaze for these because I'm a sucker for chocolate ganache. If you're really into dark chocolate, go for that for the glaze. If you want a touch more sweetness, use milk chocolate or semi-sweet. You can put a little peppermint flavoring in the ganache too if you like, but it doesn't really need it. I feel as though the mint should be secondary to the chocolate.

Cocoamint Cookies

For the Cookies

1 Cup Flour
2/3rd Cup White Sugar
1/3rd Cup Light Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, packed, then sifted
4 Tablespoons Butter (1/2 a stick)
1/3rd Cup Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
2 Teaspoons Peppermint Extract
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Melt the butter and mix it well with the sugar. Add in the yogurt, peppermint, salt and vanilla and mix well. Sift in the cocoa powder and baking soda. Then, incorporate in the flour. This is going to be a very dense, muddy dough. Scoop out chunks of dough and use your hands to press them into flattened 2 inch rounds. You should be able to get about 15 cookies. Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops have cracks on them. Cool on wire racks.

For the Ganache Glaze

2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
4 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar

Warm the cream up and pour over the chocolate. Stir until it is smooth, then stir in the powdered sugar. Take a teaspoon and drizzle a little of the glaze on the cookie, then spread it with the back of the spoon.

These taste great out of the oven, and keep well for several days after. I recommend dunking them in coffee or milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment