Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sweet Potato Bread


A few years ago I made one of the best investments in my kitchen. I purchased a breadmaker (this Sunbeam one).
.

It was initially a financial decision. I can make a loaf of bread for less than a dollar, mostly because I buy my flour in bulk. I also adore having fresh bread in the house and greatly prefer it to store bought. I broke even on my breadmaker a long time ago. It's certainly very handy to have it in the house. I never have to get bread at the store, and if I run out in the evening I can just make a loaf overnight with no effort and I have fresh bread for the morning.

I go through a lot of bread. It's my snack of choice, and I eat a poached egg on toast every morning for breakfast. When I moved to America, bread was one of the things that I missed the most. It tastes so different here.

I've played with a lot of different bread recipes, and I have a standard one that I use for every day. I was about to start making a loaf yesterday and when I reached in the fridge to get the milk out, the leftover mashed sweet potatoes that we've been working through since Thanksgiving put an idea into my head. Dense, moist, delicious sweet potato bread sounded like just the thing to brighten up my recipe and change things up.

One of the best things about making your own bread is that when you make it, the house smells phenomenal. It's very hard for a loaf of bread to cool down before being attacked in my house.

This bread is wonderful just smeared with butter. It makes great toast, it's a good bread to have on the side with a meal, and it makes for amazing sandwiches.

Sweet Potato Bread

2 1/4 Teaspoons Bread Machine Yeast
2 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Mashed Sweet Potato
1 Cup and 1 Tablespoon Milk
3 Tablespoons light oil (Vegetable, Canola)
3 Tablespoons Honey
2 Teaspoons Salt

Unceremoniously dump all the ingredients in your bread maker. Set the machine for a 1.5lb loaf on the lightest setting. Press Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment