Monday, January 30, 2012

Cinnamon Star Cookies with Maple Glaze and Canadian Trampolinists

Pin It

I've become very fond of titling my posts with the name of the food I made and something else that I'm going to write about. If it gets annoying, do tell me. It also makes for some pretty funny post titles if you ask me.

Maybe I should make them shorter.

Anyways, last week my Circus birthday. I've been working with the Circus for a year now and I've met some really really interesting people.

Neat things I've done this year because of my job:

Counted to six and said "I took a shower" in Romanian.
Walked across the LA Dodgers baseball field.
Done a forward roll on an aerial hoop.
Been yelled at in French.
Walked on stage in front of 2,000 people to help get a stranded aerialist down...twice.
Been on a jumbotron.
Tangoed with a 6'6" tall Uzbekistanian.
Thrown a tea party for a bunch of Brits and a lovely French girl.

And many other things. I've also made a bunch of friends and met some really interesting people. I've done a lot more cooking, and definitely picked peoples brains for ideas on what to do with my food. Having people with different cultures and different tastes can be helpful sometimes.

So when I decided I wanted to make some cookies with a maple syrup icing and my brain hit a wall on what the cookies should taste like, I did the only smart thing I could think of. I asked a Canadian. There is a Canadian trampolinist that works on my show who is a pretty avid cook himself with a really good food vocabulary. I wasn't expecting the answer I got though, regarding the cookies.

"Just put some cinnamon in them".

Yeah. I really should have come up with that one on my own. Freakin Canadians. I love the flavor of Maple Syrup and I urge you to splurge on some high quality stuff to have on hand. It usually keeps for a year.

This is based on a really simple butter cookie recipe. The reason mine are shaped like stars is that I got a bunch of star shaped cookie cutters for Christmas and I wanted an excuse to use them.

Cinnamon Star Cookies with Maple Icing
Inspired by How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson

For the cookies

3oz Butter
3.5oz Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
7oz Flour
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Preheat the oven to 350F. Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the salt, vanilla, eggs and cinnamon. Then, mix in the baking powder and flour. Let the dough sit in the fridge for and hour to firm up, then roll out very thinly. Use cookie cutters or a floured glass to cut out the cookies. Bake for about 11 minutes until getting golden on the edges. Let cool before icing.

For the Icing

1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup

Warm the maple syrup slightly in a small saucepan, this will help it become runnier. Sift in the powdered sugar and mix. It should be runny enough that you can easily drizzle it on the cookies, but it should firm up very quickly. You can add more Maple Syrup if need be. Cover the cookies with the icing. Let set up for about half an hour.

Makes about 20 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment