Saturday, January 7, 2012

Consistency

It is with a heavy heart and a lot of soul searching that I am announcing the inevitable.

I'm back on my diet.

This saddens me greatly, but so does the size of my tummy, so it must be done. I'm on a new work schedule that will cut into my free time quite a bit, so I doubt I'll be going to the gym as much as I should. Trust me, I plan to continue to eat delicious things, I just have to do a lot more portion control and a lot less snacking. Believe me, this will not effect how many recipes I deliver. It just means I'll only be eating one of the cookies instead of the entire batch.

One of the easiest parts about dieting for me though is consistency. You see, I eat the same thing for breakfast seven days a week, and I eat the same thing for lunch five days a week. What can I say, I like poached eggs and I like routine.

Breakfast is the same. I get up and make a cup of tea. An hour or so later I put on a pan of water with some salt, let it boil (usually while I potter around the apartment doing some cleaning), then when it's boiling I add in a splash of white vinegar and an egg. I slow poach my eggs, so in the four minutes or so that it takes I've usually managed to unload the dishwasher or clean the kitchen counters. Then I cut a thick slice of homemade bread (which I don't toast), and dump the egg on it. I mash is up with a fork so the yolk is spread everywhere, then a few good grinds of salt and pepper and I'm done. It's yummy and complete and it fills me up and keeps me happy. If I don't have a poached egg for breakfast, I tend to feel mildly unsettled.

5 days a week I eat lunch and dinner at work, and while dinner can vary, lunch tends to be the same. See, I don't like to have to prep too much to take to work so in my desk I keep a pack of flour tortillas and in the fridge I keep Italian Salad Dressing, Lettuce Mix and Shredded Cheese. I'll usually throw a tomato in my purse and at some point when I get hungry I'll just assemble myself a wrap at my desk and munch it down.

Every so often my lunch will change a little, particularly if I have some small tub of leftovers that I want to eat up. I'll often bring in a few snack items too, though those will mostly get cut out with the new diet.

For the most part though, everything tends to look pretty much the same on my work days.

So how about you? Is there something that you eat every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment