Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Single Girls Lunch Salad



I'm a creature of habit. I really like routine, and I have a few of the same little things that I do pretty much every day. I've started my morning with a cup of tea almost every single day since I was about twelve. It's not that I seek the caffeine in it anymore…. it's because I have it every morning that it helps me get up.

Sometimes, my eating habits get stuck on repeat, too. Now that my Stunt Guy is in a different city, I'm left to my own devices when it comes to lunch. I've eaten this salad every single day for the last five days. I look forward to it every time. My friend Mary thinks I'm a little weird to look forward to a salad, but this one seriously rocks.

I feel that a good salad is all about ratio and variety. You want it to be leafy and nutritious, but you also want it to be really really interesting. The best part of a salad is always the goodies... you know, the parts that aren't lettuce, and this one is chocked full of them.

Single Girls Lunch Salad

I've been chopping up a my ingredients and keeping them in tupperware in the fridge, for ease of assembly. If you're vegetarian, just leave out the turkey. It's also really hard to tell you how much Mozzarella I use, so I've estimated. Use good Mozzarella, the kind that comes in a ball in water.

1 1/2 - 2 Cups Chopped Fresh Spinach (loose, not packed)
1/2 an avocado, diced
Half a regular or Slow-Roasted tomato, diced
Two slices of deli lunchmeat (I like turkey), diced up
1/4 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper (or a mix of both)
1.5 Ounces fresh Mozzarella, diced
2 Tablespoons Walnut pieces, toasted
2 Tablespoons Salad Dressing (I use Italian, but pick your favorite)



Prep your ingredients. To toast the walnuts, take a small non-stick pan and throw the walnuts in there over medium heat. Stir around while you prep your other ingredients. Get some good color on them. It takes about five minutes.

Mix all the ingredients together in an oversized bowl. Drizzle over your favorite dressing, mix up, and eat either rushed at your desk on a work day, or while you are curled up on your couch working through your Hulu+ queue on the weekend.

Related Recipes:

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Check out my Recipe Index for more things to nosh on.

No comments:

Post a Comment