Monday, April 23, 2012

Hummus with a Twist and Breaking Records



Yesterday hit record temperatures here in the valley. It was 99 degrees. Have you noticed that is in April?I have learned in the last 15 months that Las Vegas really just has Summer and Winter, with a brief two week flirtation with Spring. The pool at my condo complex is already full of jovial happy people.  I, personally, am not impressed or happy regarding this temperature. This is because the air conditioning in my car is broken.  Because it is so hot outside, rolling down the windows simply creates a hair dryer effect. Fixing it is becoming a higher priority with every ride to work that I take.  I'm going to be eating out of my pantry possibly for what feels like the rest of my life to squeeze the necessary funds out of my meagre budget.

The big plus here, though, is that I frequently forget what I have in that pantry. I was sitting at work the other day, thinking about food, craving hummus, lamenting how I can't shop for food right now unless I'min dire need of something like spinach for my daily salad, when i did a mental inventory of my pantry and realized that I had everything that I needed to make hummus myself. Take that, gods of fate and fortune!

Since it's so hot, a nice cool dip with some carrots and maybe a few crackers is something that can really hit the spot.

Hummus is beautifully simple and it comes together quickly and easily. I adore it. I don't make it that often, because when I do I have a hard time not eating it all instantly. I tend to run out of dipping materials quite quickly. 

This recipe is a very classic recipe, though I add an odd and awesome little twist that, in my opinion, gives it a little extra depth.

Hummus with a Twist

The twist in this hummus is a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. It adds a little nuance to the finished product. It isn't overpowering, just enhancing. 

1 Can Chickpeas, drained with 1/4 Cup of liquid reserved
1 Large Lemon, juiced
2 Cloves of Garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons Tahini
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Ground Pepper

In a blender or food processor, put 1/4 Cup of the chickpea liquid. Juice a large lemon, or use 5 tablespoons on lemon juice. Then, add in the olive oil, salt, pepper and the garlic. Blend this together, then add in the tahini and blend again. Blend in the chickpeas until a smooth paste is formed. When you're happy with the texture, stir in the balsamic vinegar and taste. Feel free to add in a little more acid if your palate leans that way!

Makes about 1 1/2 Cups of Hummus. 

Want something sweet with this? How about a Vanilla Bruise Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment