Friday, April 20, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and The Bet


My friend Jacob is "going places someday". When you work in the entertainment industry, you get used to seeing your friends on the big screen here and there. You witness them perform, heck you even Stage Manage them sometimes and get to be awed by their talent and proud when good things happen to them. I'm lucky to have a lot of brilliantly talented friends and Jacob is way up there on the list. He's a brilliant actor, strong writer, and genuinely good guy... and he loves Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

He is an incredibly picky eater. He's from Kentucky so he tends to lean towards un-complicated food. He orders his burgers mostly plain "Meat-Cheese-Bun-Done". He abhors the smell of vinegar.... he'll actually leave the table. I seem to recall that he loves green peppers if they are raw. He's a big strapping all american guy.

Back when I lived in Atlanta, there was a day that we were hanging out somewhere or another, and I can't remember how it came up, but he was lamenting that he wanted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, but it would take too long to make it (or maybe he considered it too complicated, I'm not sure now). I, being the culinary braggart that I am informed him that I could absolutely make that dough in less than five minutes with all the ingredients already in my house. I didn't inform him that I had never made them before, nor did I inform him that I'd never even considered that flavor combination.

Back at my house in a flurry of activity I ran around my kitchen, rapidly whipping together a cookie dough from a recipe I'd found online. The dough was created in four minutes, twelve seconds. I whooped and hollered around the kitchen, proud as punch. Jacob tasted it and declared it delicious. However, he didn't declare me to have won yet, insisting we make sure the cookies bake okay. I acquiesced and we stuck a batch in the oven. Ten minutes later, disaster. The cookies had spread all over the pan. I stated that as I had 48 seconds left, I was sure I could fix the remaining dough. Seventeen seconds and half a cup of flour later I had done just that. The next batch was perfect and I've adored Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies ever since.
I've played with many different recipes over the years, but I really like this one. I don't have any idea where it came from, but it's my go to.

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

These cookies are chewy, not crispy, which is how my Stunt Guy likes them. I personally like them a little more crispy, but thats another recipe for another day. I highly recommend using semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, else these come out a wee bit sweet.

1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter (4 Tablespoons), softened
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
1 1/2 Cups Whole Grain Oats
3/4 Cup Whole Grain Flour
1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the sugars with the butter, then add in the egg, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Beat well then sift in the flour. Mix in the oats, then lastly add the chocolate chips.

Portion out heaping tablespoons of dough onto a baking sheet. You should be able to fit twelve to a sheet. Flatten the mounds slightly, then bake for 13 minutes. They should still be a little soft when you pull them out of the oven. This is what keeps them chewy.

Enjoy with a glass of milk and a big smile. Make sure you lick the dough bowl.

Makes 24 small cookies.

Want something savory with this? How about a Tomato, Basil and Goat Cheese Quiche

2 comments:

  1. You're wonderful. Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies have been on my to-do list for weeks... but always a little too low on that list to be crossed off yet. I don't, however, have a preferred recipe yet.
    I'm so glad I didn't jump the gun before this post.

    ReplyDelete