Monday, June 4, 2012

Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Tortilla Pizza


There really is something to be said for simplicity. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I really don't feel like any of my standard go-to breakfast foods. I'm not always in the mood for a poached egg, or some cereal, or yoghurt and granola. So I tend to just not eat anything. Finally I cave into my hunger, and by then I want a little of everything... veggies, carbs, meats, cheese. Enter the Breakfast Tortilla Pizza. Sounds odd, I know, but this really is becoming one of my favorite little creations. 

I think what I like most about this is the texture. You get chewy sausage, creamy mozzarella, a little tang from the bell peppers, then the tortilla is soft in the center and crispy around the outside. It's immensely satisfying.

You can do anything you want with this concept, really. So long as you don't overload it, or use a sauce that is too liquidy. Try some bacon with blue cheese, or some fresh veggies with cheddar, or be super brave and smear it with slightly underdone scramble eggs that will finish during the broiling phase.

Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Tortilla Pizza

A word to the wise when eating this... hold it over a plate so you don't spill anything on your favorite pajamas!

8oz Sausage
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Cup Chunky Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (fresh is best)
4 Flour Tortillas

In a small frying pan, crumble up the sausage and cook with the bell peppers. Cook until the sausage is all the way done and the peppers are just starting to soften. 
Spread about a 1/4 Cup of chunky tomato sauce on four flour tortillas, being sure to leave at least 1/2 an inch of room around the edges. Divide the sausage and pepper mixture between the tortillas. Top with mozzarella.



Broil on low for 3 minutes. The cheese will melt, the edges will crisp, and simple deliciousness will rule the day.

Makes 4.

Other recipes you might like:


No comments:

Post a Comment