Monday, May 14, 2012

Salmon, Sun Dried Tomato and Goats Cheese Omlitos






I feel as though I'm living a really muddled life these days. I'm working hard at my job, working hard on surviving being 2,000 miles from the other half of me, working hard on not spending money, working hard on getting this weight taken care of.

There really is a lot of working hard in my life and not very much quiet time. I really need to work on that quiet time. I was planning on getting away this weekend (which for me is tues/weds), but my plans fell through when sadly my partner in crime (the beautiful Tina, who is also working hard on being far from her other half) had to stay in town to finish some house buying stuff.

So now I have the whole weekend to myself. I've got a Groupon for a massage that I think I'm going to pull out, since Marshall is super swamped right now and I'm not willing to put my stressy shoulders on his plate. I've got a little bit of housework to do and a bit of writing, but biggest of all, I'm going to pull everything out of my pantry, figure out what the heck is in there, and come up with some sort of plan to work through it. 

When my roommate Josh moved in last week, I hastily made pantry room for him by shoving everything up onto the top two shelves in no semblance of an order. This will not do! Pantry busting shall commence!

So let's start with these little yummies. In my head I call these Omlitos. That's absolutely not a word. I really just made it up. They are like little omletty cupcakes. You can put any kind of leftovers in these, really, but I found the combination of salmon, sun dried tomato, pesto and goat cheese to be a real winner. They are easy to pack up for lunch the next day or two. You could probably even be so bold as to freeze them. I know I'm bringing you two fish dishes in a row, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me!

Salmon, Sun Dried Tomato and Goats Cheese Omlitos

Do yourself a favor. If you don't have a really good muffin pan that nothing ever sticks to, or one of those fancy silicon ones that I still seriously need to figure out how to add to my kitchen, use muffin liners for these. There is no added fat in them, so they have a tendency to stick.

I keep pesto in my freezer for times like this. If you don't have any on hand, use fresh basil instead.

1 Small Salmon Fillet, 4oz, cooked
3 Eggs
2 Tablespoons Sun Dried Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Tablespoon Pesto plus more for topping
2 Tablespoons Goat cheese
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare six cups of a muffin tin so that the mixture will not stick. Use liners, silicon molds, cooking spray, whatever your preferred method is. 

In a small bowl, beat the eggs together with some salt and fresh ground pepper. Mix in the sun dried tomatoes and a tablespoon of pesto. Split the cooked salmon between the cups and then pour over the egg mixture, trying to distribute the sun dried tomatoes evenly. Top with a little more pesto and the goats cheese. 

Bake for about 22 minutes until the omlitos have risen and cooked all the way. You can serve these either hot or cold. For me it was cold with a slice of toast and a smear of brie, and a light mixed green salad.

Makes 6.




Other recipes you might like:






No comments:

Post a Comment